This program is for students entering 10th grade through recent high school graduates. Participants engage in a service project and a 4-day training including basic job training, leadership skill refinement, LHH orientation and Activity Lead training. Teens continue the program by participating in team huddles, co-leading and leading volunteer activities. In addition, teens learn about nonprofit fundraising and plan a fundraiser to create a family volunteer activity that benefits a local organization. Teens who complete the program are encouraged to continue leading activities. They are also eligible to apply for a contract Activity Lead position.
2017 Program Components + Summer Dates:
- Shadow an experienced Activity Lead prior to program
- Team Volunteer Activity, Orientation, and Training: June 5-9 (Monday-Friday) from 9:00am-12:00pm
- Co-lead & Lead dates scheduled individually in June, July, and August.
- Participants must be available for at least 4 co-lead shifts and at least 3 lead shifts.
- Note: A parent/guardian must be present when teens lead activities on their own.
- Optional CPR & First Aid Training and Certification: date TBD
- 5 Team Huddles throughout summer: 9:00am-12:00pm, Wednesdays: June 14, June 21, July 12, July 19, July 26. Participants must be able to attend 4 of the 5 dates.
- Teen Fundraising Activity/Event: by end of summer
- Volunteer Recognition Event in September
- Note: This program is designed to be a summer long experience. While there is some flexibility, participants must be available to participate in most activities.
How to Participate:
Participants are selected based on an application, two references, and group interview performance.
- Submit an application: Summer 2017 applications are open and can be found here!
2017 Summer application deadline is 5:00pm on Wednesday, April 19, 2017.
- Attend the group interview: Saturday, April 29, 2017. Selected applicants will be invited to participate in a group interview.
- Program fee: $95/$85 for family sponsors. If selected, a program fee applies. Scholarships are available (contact email@example.com for information). Program fees go toward training, team service activities, supplies and LHH t-shirts.